Five suspected Abu Sayyaf bandits and two soldiers were killed in a clash in Sulu on Thursday morning, according to Brigadier General Cirilito Sobejana, commander of Joint Task Force Sulu.
Citing a report from the field, Sobejana said Marine troopers under the task force were conducting security and rescue operation is Barangay Pang in Kalingalan Caluang when they encountered some 30 “heavily armed” men.
Two soldiers were killed in action while another one was wounded, Sobejanan said. The military has yet to release their names.
Meanwhile, five armed men were killed and seven high-powered firearms were recovered.
“JTF Sulu forces is determined to continue their relentless and sustained effort in pursuing the Abu Sayyaf and other lawless elements for the safe rescue of the kidnap victims,” Sobejana said.
Last month, four laborers from Zamboanga City who were working at a sports complex in Patikul were abducted by suspected Abu Sayyaf bandits. —KBK, GMA News